Call 24/7 to Book a Free Consultation (732) 709-7757

Defending Out of State Speeding Drivers in NJ

speeding car

There can be significant fines and penalties for speeding on New Jersey roads. Depending on how much the individual surpassed the legal speed limit, there are corresponding fines and points placed on the driver's license. For example, New Jersey law states that if the driver was traveling between 1 and 14 miles per hour over the speed limit, he or she will receive 2 points on his or her record along with the corresponding fine. If the driver was traveling between 15 and 29 miles per hour over the speed limit, there will be 4 points added on their license. If the driver was traveling 30 or more miles per hour over the speed limit, it is a 5 point ticket.

What if the Speeding Driver is From Out of State?

When a non-resident driver is caught speeding in New Jersey, it could complicate matters. There are reciprocal exchange laws in which New Jersey will share information with other states regarding a driver's violation of traffic laws. This means that the consequences will be felt in the driver's home state and punishment will be issued regardless of the fact that the traffic ticket was issued in New Jersey. The violation in New Jersey may also affect the driver's insurance rates, even if insured under a policy governed by another state.
There are some states, like New York, that don't recognize violations committed in other states. However, this doesn't mean that the fine won't have to be paid if caught speeding in New Jersey. The only saving grace is that a New York resident won't receive points on their New York driving record for a violation received in New Jersey.
Certain states might give points for an out of state speeding citation, but the points may be fewer than what would be added to the license if the driver had a New Jersey license.

How to Defend an Out of State Speeding Ticket from NJ

If you live outside of New Jersey, you still have to pay a fine for your speeding ticket if it was issued in New Jersey. But, you also have the option of disputing the summons.  Often, this can be done without having to return to New Jersey in person. There may have been other defenses available to fight your speeding ticket. Talking to a local New Jersey attorney is advised if you would like to find out the best way to defend your charge.

Contact a New Jersey Lawyer for an Out of State Speeding Ticket

If you are from out of state and received a speeding ticket in New Jersey, it's imperative to hire a New Jersey lawyer such as the experienced attorneys at the law firm of Villani & DeLuca in Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey. The cost of being cited for speeding in New Jersey doesn't disappear just because you are from out of state. You still have to address the issue, and it's not as complicated as it may seem.
Villani & DeLuca can act as your representative, sometimes without your presence being necessary. With extensive knowledge of New Jersey traffic laws, our lawyers are here to help. If you were cited for speeding in Monmouth County or Ocean County, call today for a free consultation about your charge.

Contact Us Today

Villani & DeLuca, P.C. is committed to answering your questions about Divorce & Family Law, Criminal Defense, Personal Injury, and DWI & Traffic Law issues in New Jersey. We offer a Free Consultation and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.