Call 24/7 to Book a Free Consultation (732) 709-7757

NJ 2C:25-23. Victim’s right to temporary restraining order (T.R.O.).

Defending NJ 2C:25-23.  Victim's right to temporary restraining order.

After you read the following NJ Criminal Statute (Victim's right to temporary restraining order) you may decide that you need the help of a lawyer, or need a legal interpretation of how this statute applies to your case.  The firm of Villani & DeLuca has experienced criminal lawyers with over 20 years of experience, including a former municipal prosecutor.  Call the number above for a free 24×7 phone consultation or read more about the domestic violence charge.

NJ Statute: 2C:25-23.  Dissemination of notice to victim of domestic violence.

A law enforcement officer shall disseminate and explain to the victim the following notice, which shall be written in both English and Spanish:
“You have the right to go to court to get an order called a temporary restraining order, also called a TRO, which may protect you from more abuse by your attacker.  The officer who handed you this card can tell you how to get a TRO.
The kinds of things a judge can order in a TRO may include:
(1)  That your attacker is temporarily forbidden from entering the home you live in;
(2)  That your attacker is temporarily forbidden from having contact with you or your relatives;
(3)  That your attacker is temporarily forbidden from bothering you at work;
(4)  That your attacker has to pay temporary child support or support for you;
(5)  That you be given temporary custody of your children;
(6)  That your attacker pay you back any money you have to spend for medical treatment or repairs because of the violence.  There are other things the court can order, and the court clerk will explain the procedure to you and will help you fill out the papers for a TRO.
You also have the right to file a criminal complaint against your attacker.  The police officer who gave you this paper will tell you how to file a criminal complaint.
On weekends, holidays and other times when the courts are closed, you still have a right to get a TRO.  The police officer who gave you this paper can help you get in touch with a judge who can give you a TRO.”

AKA: NJ Criminal Charge 2C:25-23, Violation 2C:25-23, Offense 2C:25-23

Disclaimer: A copy of this statute has been provided for your information. This wording was current from the NJ website as of August 2012.

Contact Us Today

Villani & DeLuca, P.C. is committed to answering your questions about Divorce & Family Law, Criminal Defense, Personal Injury, and DWI & Traffic Law issues in New Jersey. We offer a Free Consultation and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.