Ocean Twp. Divorce Lawyer

Waretown Divorce LawyerWaretown Divorce Lawyer

Waretown is a community located within Ocean Township in Ocean County, NJ.  It contains a population of approximately 1,500 residents within 0.925 square miles.  One of Waretown’s most notable residents is George E. Smith, who won the Noble Prize in Physics in 2009 for his work on the charge-coupled device (CCD).  In addition to working out the terms for alimony, child support and child custody, a family law attorney can help you valuate complex assets such as retirement accounts.  Your attorney can also advise you on litigation alternatives, such as divorce mediation.

Where Do I File for Divorce in Ocean Township?

When filing for divorce, you will submit your complaint to the Superior Court of the county in which you live.  If you live in Ocean Township, also known as Waretown, you can file your complaint with the Superior Court in Ocean County, located at 118 Washington Street, Toms River, NJ, 08754.  You can contact the court at (732) 929-2042.

It is very important to file your papers in the appropriate county court because family courts in New Jersey only have the authority (also known as jurisdiction) to hear your case if you or your spouse are living in the county in which you file.  If you file in the wrong county court, your case could be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction.  This means the court will not hear your case.

How Do I File for Divorce in Ocean Township?

The process of filing for divorce begins with the complaint.  Your complaint tells the court what type of legal relief you are seeking.  In addition to asking for a divorce, you may need other types of relief, including alimony (also known as spousal support), equitable distribution (the fair division of marital property), custody of one or more of the minor children, child support, or a name change.

Your complaint is only one of several documents that must be submitted to the court.  The types of documents required are dependent upon your individual circumstances.  For instance, if there are issues of custody, support, alimony, or equitable distribution, you must also file a Family Part Case Information Statement, or CIS.  The CIS asks for information concerning your income and assets, and you may have to attach certain documents to the CIS, including pay stubs and tax returns.

Once you file your complaint with the court, a copy of the complaint will be served on your spouse.  This is called a summons, and it alerts the defendant (your spouse) that he or she is being sued for divorce, and must reply in a specific period of time.  The defendant may file an answer, in which he or she admit or denies the claims in your complaint.  The defendant may also file a counterclaim for divorce, asking for custody, support, equitable distribution of the marital property, or other type of relief.

It is important to file your complaint properly.  You must provide accurate and up-to-date information and detail all the types of relief you are seeking.  It is equally important that your spouse is properly served, as failure to serve your spouse in a timely manner can result in dismissal of your case.  The experienced attorneys at Villani & DeLuca can guide you through the divorce process, protecting your rights and giving you peace of mind during this difficult time.

Divorce Mediation Services in Waretown, NJ

If you are filing for divorce in Ocean Township and want more control over the process, divorce mediation may be right for you.  A mediator can help you and your spouse to reach an agreement on financial issues and living arrangements as well as custody of any minor children.  Attorney Vincent C. DeLuca is a qualified divorce mediator with Villani & DeLuca.  Mr. DeLuca can explain the mediation process to you and help you and your spouse to gain control of your divorce in a supportive, non-confrontational setting.

There are many advantages to choosing a mediator for your divorce in Ocean Township.  The mediation process is less adversarial and often less expensive.  A mediator can help you and your spouse to focus on the issues of the divorce rather than negative feelings.  You will work closely with your mediator to reach the most reasonable solutions to your dispute, allowing everyone to walk away comfortable and satisfied with the results.

Taking the First Step for Your Ocean County Divorce

If you are considering filing for divorce in Ocean Township, contact Villani & DeLuca for a free consultation.  Our attorneys can help you decide the right course of action and enable you to take control of the process.  Call our offices today at (732) 965-3350.