Does My Record From Another State Carry Over to NJ?

NJ Criminal Defense FAQ  |  See also:  NJ DWI FAQ

Q) If this is my first offense in New Jersey, but I have a history in another state, will they treat this charge like it’s my first offense?

A) No.  Your prior record count is based upon all prior criminal convictions.  It does not matter where these offenses occurred, as long as New Jersey has a similar law to the one you violated in another jurisdiction.  Law enforcement has access to all of your prior convictions anywhere in the United States and they will pull the prior conviction record for every criminal defendant to find out his or her prior record.

Next > How is an indictable criminal offense different from a disorderly persons offense?

Villani & DeLuca P.C. are experienced Criminal Defense attorneys.  Call 732-965-3350 for a Free phone consultation.