Can I get temporary emergency custody?

All Family Law FAQ’s | NJ Child Custody FAQ’s

Q) Can I get temporary emergency custody?

A) Should the circumstances so warrant, you may be able to obtain temporary custody on an emergency basis by way of filing an Order to Show Cause application with the court.  In order to obtain such relief, you must demonstrate to the court that the child will face substantial immediate and irreparable harm if the transfer is not granted.  Courts may be inclined to grant an emergent custody transfer in the event that the child is in danger, i.e. one of the parents is a drug addict, there has been a threat to abduct the child, the child has suffered from some type of abuse and/or neglect.