Point Pleasant Divorce Lawyer

Point Pleasant Divorce Lawyer

Point Pleasant Divorce LawyerThe borough of Point Pleasant is one of the best known summer resort communities on the East Coast.  It lies on the northeastern tip of Ocean County, bordered by the Manasquan River to the north and Point Pleasant Beach to the east.  Point Pleasant has had many notable residents, including American playwright Eugene O’Neill.  O’Neill and his second wife Agnes Boulton stayed in her family’s home on the corner of Hall Avenue and Herbertsville Road from November 1918 to May 1919.  They divorced 7 years later, and Boulton was left to take care of their children on her own.  Since then, divorce laws have changed dramatically to include specific terms for alimony, child support and division of marital property.  An experienced divorce attorney can advise you of these laws and all the available options for divorce in New Jersey.

Child Custody Attorney in Point Pleasant, NJ

When filing for divorce in Point Pleasant Borough, your complaint should include the grounds for divorce as well as any relief you are seeking in addition to divorce, including custody of any minor children of the marriage.  There are many types of custody arrangements available, ranging from sole legal and physical custody to joint legal and physical custody.  Legal custody refers to the ability of the parent to make important decisions in the child’s life on matters such as healthcare and schooling.  Physical custody refers to the actual caretaking of the child.  It is possible to have one type of custody and not the other.

In cases where the parents cannot come to an agreement on this matter, it will be decided by the court using the “best interests of the child” standard.  Under this standard, the judge will take into consideration the child’s safety, happiness, and physical and mental welfare.  Some of the factors the court will examine include any history of violence, the ability of the parents to care for the child, the age of the child, and the child’s relationship with the parents.  It is rare for the court to grant sole custody unless there is a history of abuse or neglect.

Visitation Lawyer in Point Pleasant Borough

In most cases, one parent will be granted more time with the child than the other parent.  In such cases, the parent granted more time will be considered the primary caretaker of the child, and the other parent will be considered the secondary caretaker of the child.  Occasionally, animosity between the spouses following the dissolution of the marriage can lead to visitation issues.  The primary caretaker may refuse to allow the child on visits, or restrict the secondary caretaker from making phone calls or emailing the child.  In such cases, it is important to contact an attorney to enforce your rights.

Our attorneys at Villani & DeLuca have many years of experience in family law.  During a free consultation, we can sit down with you and assess your options, which include seeking enforcement of your visitation rights through the court, or mediating the situation through our offices.  If your spouse is interfering with your visitation rights in Point Pleasant Borough, call our offices today at (732) 965-3350.

Filing a Restraining Order in Point Pleasant Borough

If you are a domestic violence victim in Point Pleasant Borough, you should seek a restraining order to protect yourself (and your child) from further abuse.  In 1991, the Legislature passed the New Jersey Domestic Violence Act.  The Act is intended to protect victims of violent crimes such as terroristic threats, assault, harassment and stalking.  The relief granted by the court is known as a restraining order, and it forbids the abuser from making contact with his or her victim.  There are two types of restraining orders.  A temporary restraining order is granted in cases where the court has not held a full court hearing.  It may be based solely on your testimony, or if you have been injured and cannot appear in court, on the testimony of your representative.  A final restraining order is only granted after the court has heard testimony from the victim, and examined evidence relating to the request for the order.

Contact a Local Point Pleasant Law Firm

Contact our offices for a free consultation with one of our divorce lawyers.  Our experienced attorneys are here to help.  Call (732) 965-3350 to speak with a local divorce attorney today.