Plumsted Divorce Lawyer

Plumsted Divorce Lawyer

Plumsted Divorce Lawyer

Plumsted Township is located in northwest Ocean County, and was formed from portions of Jackson Township when the area was still part of Monmouth County.  Plumsted contains the community of New Egypt, which has its own police and emergency service departments.  Though impressive in size at 40.146 square miles, the township has a population of only 8,421 as of the 2010 census.  Plumsted residents have access to a wide variety of information on divorce-related topics through seminars offered by the Ocean Vicinage in Toms River.  These seminars educate participants on issues such as filing for divorce, the paperwork involved in a divorce complaint, and what to expect at a divorce hearing.  Since individual cases cannot be discussed at these seminars, you should still seek legal advice from an experienced divorce attorney.  An attorney can advocate for your interests on important issues such as child custody and alimony.

If you are facing the possibility of divorce, you may be overwhelmed with questions.   There are many issues to consider, including alimony, equitable distribution of assets, custody and child support.  It is important to take the right first steps so that you do are not faced with unnecessary expense or delay.

Where Do I File for Divorce in Plumsted, NJ?

To begin, it is important that you file your divorce complaint in the appropriate court.   Courts in New Jersey only have the authority to hear certain cases.  This is known as jurisdiction.  With divorce, the complaint must be filed in the Superior Court where you (or your spouse) are currently living.  If you are a Plumsted Township resident, you will file your divorce complaint with the Superior Court of Ocean County, located at 118 Washington Street, Toms River, NJ, 08754.  You can contact the court a (732) 929-2042.  Failure to file your complaint in the correct court will result in dismissal for lack of jurisdiction.

Getting Child Support in Plumsted Township, NJ

When you file your divorce in Plumsted Township, you will state the grounds for divorce as well as the relief sought.  Just as it is necessary to properly file your complaint, it is equally important to properly raise all requests for relief in your initial complaint.  Our divorce attorneys at Villani & DeLuca can review your case and help you decide what it is you want the court to grant, in addition to the dissolution of your marriage.

If you are the primary caretaker of your child, meaning your child is spending more time with you than with your spouse, you are entitled to receive support.  Child support in New Jersey is determined using a formula.  This formula takes into account the amount of money each parent is earning, the amount of time each parent is spending with the child, as well as other factors such as alimony, disability, other legal dependents of either parent.

When you meet with one of our experienced family law attorneys at Villani & DeLuca, we will help you calculate your monthly expenditures on housing, food, clothing, transportation and entertainment, as well as the costs of any unreimbursed medical expenses or childcare.  These numbers will be factored into the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines so that the court can accurately determine the correct amount of child support necessary for you to maintain your current standard of living.

Alimony Attorney in Plumsted Township

In addition to child support, you may be entitled to receive alimony.  Alimony, also known as spousal support, is intended to protect the non-working or lower-wage-earning spouse from the financial disadvantages of a divorce.  If you are living in Plumsted Township and seeking a divorce, you may benefit from a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys at Villani & DeLuca.  We can assess your situation and determine the type of alimony you may be entitled to receive.

There are four types of alimony available.  Each is tailored to the specific circumstances of the marriage.  Temporary alimony is suitable for situations in which the couple is in the process of divorcing or where the divorced couple was only married for a short period of time, and the court would not be justified in granting the lower wage earner or non-wage-earner permanent support.

Permanent alimony, although rarely granted, may be necessary if the couple was married for a long period of time, during which the spouse seeking support did not work.  A spouse who sacrifices a career to care for and raise the children may be granted permanent alimony so that he or she does not suffer financially following the divorce.

In cases where a spouse is capable of working but has not had the opportunity to pursue a career or complete career training, the court will grant rehabilitative alimony.  This is a grant of limited support during the period of education or job training.

Finally, in cases where a spouse has sacrificed their own advancement so that the other spouse could develop a career or complete higher education, the court will grant reimbursement alimony.  This is intended not so much to support the sacrificing spouse, but to compensate for lost opportunities.

Contact a Plumsted, NJ Divorce Attorney

Our attorneys at Villani & DeLuca will review your case carefully and assess all types of relief you may be entitled to so that you may move forward with your life with a sense of security.  Call us today for your free consultation at (732) 965-3350.